Now that the Registry Office in town is permanently closed, some celebrants have been appointed to take Registry Ceremonies in their community.
Kaiapoi-based marriage celebrant Kineta Booker is an authorised VCANZ Registry Celebrant, and can officiate your ceremony for you! All you need is to organise two witnesses and your marriage licence ($150), and it will cost just $90 to have Kineta as your celebrant. Easy!
Registry Office-type weddings are available only on working days, during school hours, with a maximum of 10 people onsite.
You will need to apply for your marriage licence at least three business days prior to the day you intend to be married, and not more than three months before.
To book Kineta:
– Go to https://marriages.services.govt.nz
– Click on the Begin new application “Next” button
– Click on “Registry ceremony”
– Click on “Next” button
– Enter a date within the next three months
– Start typing “Christchurch” and select it
– Scroll down and you’ll see Kineta Booker
– Click her name and go from there!
For more information, please get in touch!
Things to consider for your Registry Office Wedding:
Destination: because Registry Offices don’t exist anymore, Independent Celebrants, like Kineta, officiate these ceremonies now. So, this needs to be within 15km of her Kaiapoi office. Kineta is available in North Christchurch and North Canterbury.
Vows: as well as the official script, these are set out for you.
Witnesses: you need to organise two witnesses. Both witnesses as well as the two people getting married must bring ID.
Paperwork: when it comes to the signing of the register, please use your maiden name, not your new married name.
Things to do, things to know, things to think about:
Marriage Licence: apply for your licence online HERE. This needs to be done no more than three months before your wedding date, and no less than three days before. A marriage licence costs $150.
What happens straight after the ceremony? Kineta will finalise your paperwork, hand it to you, and leave you to enjoy the rest of your day!
Wanting to organise a marriage certificate? Easy! There are three ways: you can order it at the same time as your licence (it will be sent once your marriage has been lodged); or once your marriage is registered you can order one online using RealMe; or you can order over the phone. Find out more HERE.
Choosing your venue:
If you haven’t chosen where you’d like to get married, here are some local options for you to consider:
- Kaiapoi Band Rotunda, Trousselot Park, Charles Street, Kaiapoi
- Scott Rose Garden, Trousselot Park, Charles Street, Kaiapoi (next to rotunda)
- Kaiapoi Lakes and Wildlife Reserve, Williams Street, Kaiapoi (Lake Hutchinson – corner of Williams Street and Old North Road, Kaiapoi)
- Kaiapoi Domain (meet at the Dale Street, Kaiapoi, entrance)
Make contact with Kineta: